Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Green Cup was the BOMB!

The fifth annual Green Cup presented by Chaos went down over the weekend and it was AWESOME. The level of competition rivaled that of any World Championships I've ever been to. It was the kind of tournament that you would have been happy just to watch, let alone have the chance to compete in. I'm sure that http://www.footbag.org/ will be publishing full results soon and I can only hope to see some good video footbag at http://www.footbagnet.com/ or http://www.prokicker.ca/ once it's available. I know that Steve Dusablon was also working on a documentry, so once that's done I'll be sure to post where to find that as well. In the meantime, I'll share a couple of my favorite moments from the weekend...

The best part for me came early on. On the Friday before the competition began, Cory and I found ourselves on the opposite side of the rectangle from none other than Manu Bouchard and Randy Mulder for a pick-up game. I've seen both of these legends play better, but Cory and I were hitting the bag really well and we managed to pull off the upset 11-8. Considering the fact that Randy will not be seen on too many rectangles in the future, this was truly a game to remember for a lifetime for us.
The best tournament match I watched was Randy and Kenny Schults against Walt Houston and Ben Alston. Randy and Kenny were heavily favored, but Walt and Ben brought the lumber with them. After dropping the first game, they stormed out of the gates in game two. After being up 10-4 at one point, Randy and Kenny mounted a comeback to bring the game to 10-10. As Kenny went up for a spike, Big Ben went up and COMPLETELY stuffed him for the side out. On the very next play, Big Ben found himself stuffing Randy in the exact same fashion. Two HUGE blocks on two back-to-back plays. It was unbelievable. Big Ben got up and yelled "This is my court!" Two plays later, for game point, Walt got some air and stuffed Randy once more. Everyone that saw it went nuts. Kenny and Randy were able to pull it out in game three, but you have to take your hats off to the boys from Memphis for making one of the most dramatic matches I've seen in the game. They followed it up with a loss to Pat Keehan and Jack Harris before dropping another one in an absolute nail-biter to Yves Archambault and Ulli Hasse 17-15 to finish in 12th place.

And if the battle for 11th place was that good, you can only imagine how great the top 10 were.

No comments: