Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Session 010410

First session of the year. None of us played particularly well but it was still fun to kick. My serve returns started to completely fail near the end. I did manage to get my foot on a lot of shots but my left side digs were embarrassing the whole session. Lots of oversets and a couple stupid selfish plays. Hit one bitch slap and a pretty good side axe. Oddly enough I hit several standing sweeps and a few sneeky scuffs that dinked as defenders faded into the backcourt to dig. Only served out once. Didn't watch any serves land in. One instance of set gazing that I can remember.

2-1 w/ Tommy over Scot/ Cory. Ugly wins. They served out quite often to keep us in the game.

1-2 w/ Scot vs Cory/Tommy. They jumped to strong early leads that we could not overcome.

1-0 w/ Cory against Scot/Tommy. Solid defense and me contributing offensively kept us on top most of the game.

I'm excited to be playing (hopefully regularly) throughout the cold months. That will help keep off the 10+ plus pounds I tend to gain and I'll be relatively sharp when the warm weather comes back (in JULY goddammit).

3 comments:

Zeke said...

I have come to greatly value being able to serve in consistently. Not as cool as my sweep serve, not as satisfying as a well placed dink but definitely WAY more effective overall. This was easily the key to Tommy and I getting the ugly wins on Scot/Cory IMO.

Ironically, my inability to return many serves while playing with Scot gave the other team early leads. Any more tips on this skill would be greatly appreciated.

My sets could have been better. I've been favoring my right inside kick and and generally getting good results. Most of my oversets did come back to bite me in the ass, though. Oddly enough, I feel like I set better running down a shank thats flying outta bounds then when I'm given a high bump in the middle of the court.

Set gazing wasn't much of a problem Sunday. Given the ground we were playing on I don't think anyone other than Tommy was expected to take off much. Overall I think I've got this mostly under control. Spiking is simply way more fun that not spiking. Even missing a spike is more fun than not spiking. Kinda.

On the other hand, I felt I made too many selfish plays where I ended up thinking I probably should have set instead of taking a shot.

I wasn't serve gazing either. Tommy tends to do this a couple times a session, lol. To be fair he returns more serves than I do.

Shot of the day may have been Scot's Side Axe that shanked 3 feet straight up off the net, hit the tape then fell on the other side for the kill! I think he also tattooed the shit out of Tommy.

Scot Hansen said...

Records for the day:
Scot: 2-5
Everyone else: 4-3

I don't think I played very well on the 4th. My sets were horribly inconsistent and I served out as often as I served in. At 5 push-ups per out serve, I bet I did about a million push-ups.

I think we all had some trouble receiving serves, especially as it got later. The lighting down low needs to be improved. Next Sunday we'll turn on the overhead lights just too see if there is much of a difference. It may make it harder to look up, but I think we'll get used to it quickly.

Zeke- you will improve on each and every one of your weaknesses with one thing and one thing only: repetition. That's why we're playing indoors this year. We need to keep a strong focus on drills and let games become secondary for the remainder of the winter.

Anonymous said...

zeke it's mu. if your the president of this club I should be the vice.
213-305-6430